While we can't stop the ageing process, we can prevent signs of premature ageing with a few simple steps.
There are several solutions to anti ageing, improving health and protecting the skin.
- Smokers could quit
- Sun-lovers could protect
Reasons to quit lighting up6
No one disagrees that smoking is harmful to your health. But did you know that it also speeds up the normal ageing process of your skin? The more ciggies you smoke, and the longer you smoke, the more your skin will age. Although early skin damage from smoking can be challenging to detect, don't delude yourself, the destruction has started!
The reason tobacco causes skin aging is threefold.
- Nicotine causes blood vessels to narrow in the outermost layers of the skin, impairing blood flow. Less blood flow equates to a deficit in oxygen and essential nutrients.
- There are more than 4,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke. These chemicals damage collagen and elastin resulting in skin that sags and wrinkles sooner than the natural ageing process.
- Facial expressions while smoking — think pursed lips, squinting eyes — contribute to deep expression lines.
While wrinkles are not reversible, you can prevent wrinkles from getting worse by quitting smoking now.
Reasons for sun protection
According to the Cancer Council, Australia has one of the world's highest rates of skin cancer. Many people die each year from an almost preventable disease. Fortunately, being sun-savvy is a simple and effective way to reduce the risk of developing skin cancer and premature skin aging.
Just a few minutes of exposure to UV each day can cause noticeable skin photoaging. This includes freckles, age spots, facial spider veins, rough leathery skin, wrinkles, saggy skin, a blotchy complexion and actinic keratoses (thick wart-like patches of skin).
You can't see or feel UV radiation, which can be extremely high, even on overcast days. Check the UV rating on your weather app, stay out of the sun during the hottest times of the day, and apply good sun protection all year round.
Download the free Cancer Council SunSmart app for daily UV alerts and comprehensive recommendations.
Indoor tanning is NO solution.
Recent research has also linked indoor tanning salons and lamps to premature skin aging and cancer.
According to skincancer.org, people who use a tanning bed before they turn 35 are at an increased risk of melanoma by 75 per cent. "Worldwide, there are more skin cancer cases due to indoor tanning than lung cancer cases due to smoking."
5-step sun protection plan
Slip, slop, slap, seek, slide.
- Slip on a shirt, preferably long sleeved
- Slop on sunscreen with a broad spectrum SPF rating for at least 20 minutes before heading outdoors. Reapply approximately every two hours or after swimming or sweating profusely
- Slap on a wide-brimmed hat
- Seek shade
- Slide on sunglasses
Artificial tanning, the safe way
Self-tanning lotions are the safest way to get a sun-kissed glow and save your skin from ageing. Although some tanning products on the market leave customers with blotchy, uneven or orange skin, with the help of Trulux skincare, you can provide your clients with non-streaking tanning solutions in just four hours.
Our luxurious tanning range instantly moisturises and conditions the skin and is suitable for all skin types. Containing plant-derived ingredients, they help to brighten and even skin tone while providing a beautiful, long-lasting tan.
Image courtesy of pcpforlife.com